Conservation Intern Position Announcement
Part time, Seasonal Intern (for credit/unpaid). 8-12 hours per week, August 30, 2021 through December 17, 2021. Option to extend internship through May 2022.
Reports To: Conservation Coordinator
Denver Audubon is currently seeking creative, highly motivated and energetic individuals to work collaboratively on our conservation and stewardship programs as part of a team of talented and experienced staff and volunteers. This is an opportunity to learn and gain experience in urban conservation issues, advocacy, and program development.
- Collaborate with Denver Audubon staff and volunteers to develop, enhance and implement conservation and/or stewardship programs including:
- Lights Out Colorado
- Lights Out Denver
- Conservation in Colorado Lecture Series
- Community stewardship volunteer program/network
- Develop communications messages on bird conservation for social media, web site, and email newsletters.
- Staff informational booths or tables to share conservation actions that help birds.
- Participate in Conservation Committee meetings.
- Encourage stewardship action among residents through enthusiasm, knowledge, and passion for birds, other wildlife and their habitats.
- Act as a representative of Denver Audubon, demonstrating professionalism, compassion and openness for opposing viewpoints, enthusiasm for stewardship actions, and environmental ethics.
- Must be 18 or older
- Pursuing a degree in environmental sciences, ornithology, biology, geology, communications, marketing, GIS (Geographic Information Systems) or related fields.
- Experience working in group or team settings and presenting at meetings or other public programs.
- Strong communication skills.
- Computer proficiency – word processing, spreadsheets and databases.
- Experience with social media and web-based platforms.
- Personal vehicle to travel to office and nature center.
- Ability to work weekday mornings, afternoons, and/or occasional evenings.
Desired Behavioral Traits and Attitudes
- Team player, fun, outgoing, passionate, organized, creative, resourceful, critical thinker, results-oriented, and self-motivated.
- Experience with or strong interest in conservation, stewardship, and/or restoration activities and programs.
- Punctual for all internship shifts.
- Accountable and communicative.
- Passionate about Denver Audubon’s mission.
- Must commit to intern hours on a weekly basis.
- Must attend intern trainings/observations, and weekly meetings etc. throughout the internship as required by supervisor.
- Strongly encouraged to attend naturalist training classes to learn about Colorado front range ecology. The classes are virtual or in-person at a variety of times on both weekends and weekdays. A schedule of the courses/dates/times will be given to you if you are selected for the internship.
- Schedule flexibility with some work occurring remotely and some meetings/programs in a virtual setting.
- Audubon Naturalist Training–includes natural history classes on the ecology of the Colorado front range.
- Supervised mentorship in organizational leadership, multi-agency collaboration, and program management.
- Potential to create a conservation/stewardship/restoration program and receive support and mentoring on your project.
- Can tailor your internship for your professional needs.
- Course credit towards your degree.
Interested applicants should send/email cover letter and resume:
Attn: Suzy Hiskey, Conservation Coordinator
9308 S. Wadsworth Blvd
Littleton, CO 80128
Deadline: August 15, 2021
Anticipated Start Date: August 30, 2021 (flexible start date)
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com