Birdathon is one of our major fundraisers. It is similar to a walkathon or marathon, except participants raise money for Denver Audubon by birding (not walking or running, whew!).
Proceeds fund our school, family, bird banding, and conservation programs. Team members collect pledges from family, friends, co-workers, and anyone else who wants to support your team and our awesome organization. Our goal is to raise $50,000. Prizes will be given to the top two teams in each category for total pledges collected and for most bird species.
There are three ways to participate:
Form a team
Organize a team of people who can all bird on the same day during May (it doesn’t matter what day in May, you pick). Before your team’s day, collect pledges from sponsors: friends, family, coworkers, anyone! Count the number of bird species the entire 24 hours of your team’s day! To register a new team, fill out the form below.
Sign up for a team
Current teams are listed below. Individuals can sign up for team XXX, please email Rhonda to confirm. We will send you sample letters to help you raise funds.
Support a team
Just click on any one of the donate links below to support your preferred team. If you don’t want to donate online, please mail a check to us at 9308 S. Wadsworth Blvd. Littleton, CO 80128.
- Teams must physically bird together within Colorado over a 24 hour period during May
- Register your team using the Birdathon Team Form and select a team type
- Green Team – only walking and biking to bird
- Regular Team – driving allowed
- Use eBird to record your bird lists and then share with “denveraudubon” (1 word, no spaces). It helps if your Team Name is written on “Add Checklist Comments” line so we know which list(s) go with which team. Even easier, create an eBird Trip Report after completing your Birdathon. This report shows where you have been, what bird species were counted, and the trip participants. You can add “denveraudubon” so that we get your report automatically.
- Don’t use eBird? Use this paper entry from. This way we can post Birdathon status much faster.
Notify us when you share your eBird lists or trip report ASAP. We can tabulate your results if needed.
- Bird ethically and have fun during Colorado’s incredible Spring Migration.
Support Your Favorite Team
Below is the current list of teams. You can support specific individuals or the entire team by donating to the team captain. Team captains are listed below in bold.
Karl, Rhonda, Kate, Emily, Betty, Raia, and Delaney
Talk Birdy to Me
Ryan, Angie, and Wendi
Hugh and Urling
4 Vets in Search of a Bird
Mackenzie, Doug, Elaine, and Jeff
Cynthia, Ann, and Dave
Birder on a Bike
Theresa, Kevin, Joanie, Shannon, LeAnn, Sherri, Lisa, Sharie, Mary Lussier, and Mary VanDeroef
Peter, Yvonne, Daneen, Ruth, Sandie, Cheryl, and Rick
Born to Fly
Julia, Barbara, Karen, Melinda, Susan, Patricia, Sue and Sherri
Birding & Beers
Sheridan and Birding & Beers
Covid and Corvids
Nancy and Ben
Team Front Range Birding
Tom, David, and Front Range Birding
Mind the Gape
Curt, Yelena, Dina, Ellie, Frank, Brian, Graham, and Natalie
Monkey Wrench Gang
Logan, Hec, and Whit