Bird Window Strike Prevention
1 billion birds die a year from window collisions and you can help. Denver Audubon helps you find solutions to prevent bird window strikes. We also promote the Lights Out Colorado campaign to assist migrating birds April-May and August-September.
ARE YOU FINDING INJURED BIRDS?
Have you ever heard a thump outside your window? Or found a dust imprint of a bird on your window? Probability is that a bird collided with your window. Here are things you can do for injured or dead birds, and a way to check if your house is bird friendly.
HOW TO MAKE YOUR WINDOWS BIRD-SAFE
To make your windows bird friendly, place applications on your windows, paint designs, apply tape, add screens or other barriers, or even replace glass with bird-friendly options. By adding treatments to your windows, birds can then see that it is a solid surface and not the habitat that the glass is reflecting. These websites are great sources to learn how to implement solutions making your house, community, and backyard bird friendly.
AMERICAN BIRD CONSERVANCY - GLASS COLLISIONS: PREVENTING BIRD WINDOW STRIKES
American Bird Conservancy provides everything you need to know about why birds hit glass and how to prevent bird window strikes. The site has a database of bird friendly window products.
Through an informative, interactive website, learn about the window strike crisis and bird safe products. Read timely blog articles how you can participate to help birds and why bird conservation is vital. This site also provides case studies of safe commercial buildings and access to CSA’s (Canadian Standards Association) Bird Friendly Building Design Standard.
FATAL LIGHT AWARENESS PROGRAM (FLAP)
A Canadian-based bird conservancy resource that is great for making your home bird safe, promoting change, or tracking a found dead bird. You can also find citizen science opportunities to get involved in your community.
Here are some other resources that may be useful:
- Looking for bird safe window products that can provide privacy or maybe a decorative scene? Collidescape is organized into categories to help you find the perfect product for your home.
- Curious to see how many birds are migrating over your area? BirdCast real-time migration uses satellite imagery so you can see birds migrating in real-time.
- National Geographic Can We Stop Millions of Birds From Crashing Into Windows video?
- Colorado Lights Out educates the public on how to help migrating birds by turning off and replacing your lights.
- Denver Lights Out gets you involved volunteering to collect bird collision data in downtown Denver.