mon28sep(sep 28)3:00 pmfri02oct(oct 2)11:00 amRaptor Photo WorkshopPhotography(september 28) 3:00 pm - (october 2) 11:00 am Audubon Nature Center at Chatfield, 11280 Waterton Rd.Event Type :WorkshopAdmission:Paid
September 28 (Monday) 3:00 pm - October 2 (Friday) 11:00 am
Audubon Nature Center at Chatfield
11280 Waterton Rd.
Join Denver Audubon, HawkQuest, and award-winning photographer Cheryl Opperman for a one of a kind photo workshop designed to help you master bird photography. Topics include camera settings,
Join Denver Audubon, HawkQuest, and award-winning photographer Cheryl Opperman for a one of a kind photo workshop designed to help you master bird photography. Topics include camera settings, using flash, composition, and processing techniques that will take your photography to the next level. Class is limited to 6 participants.
What you will learn:
- Evaluating and modifying light for bird photography including the use of flash
- Selecting shutter speeds to stop or intentionally blur action
- Ensuring adequate depth of field
- Improving your response time so you are always ready to capture the action
- Selecting exposure, including the exposure triangle, best exposure modes, and evaluating the histogram
- Using customizable camera settings for bird photography
- Choosing effective compositions and eliminating distractions
- Anticipating bird behavior
- Finding and photographing birds in the wild
- Digital processing techniques to optimize your images
- We will not be providing local transportation in order to comply with social distancing recommendations, so please be prepared to drive your own vehicle or rent a car
- Please wear a mask. The classroom is well ventilated with open doors and the raptors will be photographed outdoors, but we will be spacing everyone at least six feet apart and requiring masks as recommended by the CDC.
- If the county or state changes social distancing requirements, we may modify our practices to comply.
- In the event of another government stay-at-home order due to a resurgence of Covid-19, we will issue a full refund including the deposit.
Learn from a professional with both formal education and over 25 years of field experience
Choosing a qualified instructor with the best skill set can mean the difference between an average experience and a great experience. Teaching photography requires more than just knowing how to take beautiful photographs. Truly exceptional instructors must have extensive knowledge about fundamental photographic principles, utilize the latest technology, and be able to explain and apply the appropriate techniques in the field.
Cheryl Opperman’s degree from one of the world’s best photography colleges, plus over two decades of real-world experience, makes her one of the most skilled professionals in the industry today.
Whether you are just beginning to learn photography or have been taking pictures for years, Cheryl is passionate about sharing her knowledge to help you discover new techniques, develop your own unique style, and reach your photographic goals.
- Photograph over 10 different species in a variety of settings
- Attend bird photography and image processing classes daily
- Proceeds help support wildlife conservation and education
- Includes tuition, meals and local transportation (airfare and transportation to and from the airport not included)
- Packages available with or without lodging
“Isn’t it great when you engage in an event and it wildly exceeds your expectations? It doesn’t happen often, but the recent Denver Audubon Raptor Photo Workshop did exactly that. Through the years I’ve been on numerous photo shoots and have taken a variety of workshops with some darn good photographers, but Cheryl’s workshop was special. In a phrase, Cheryl Opperman is a consummate professional. Having said that; what I really valued about the experience was realizing just how much Cheryl cares. She cares that her participants learn, that they understand and that they take home the images they want. It took me about 5 minutes listening to Cheryl to realize how much energy she puts into her workshops. But experience doesn’t end there because in addition to being a “pro’s pro,” Cheryl is warm, easy-going and fun. I’ve been taking pictures for 10 years and can honestly say I learned more doing the Audubon workshop with Cheryl than any other I have taken. So take it from someone who’s been there, if Cheryl has an opening in her next workshop, here’s a word of advice—grab it!”
L.S. Butch Mazzuca
Denver Audubon Raptor Photo Workshop Participant
“The Denver Audubon Raptor Photo Workshop with Cheryl was the BEST workshop ever – not only does Cheryl know photography, she knows how to teach photography. For example, I’ve spent years trying to understand ambient light and flash, with no success. Cheryl had in conveyed in one go. She’s patient and behind our cameras a lot – often using any photos she does take as a teaching tool – all to make sure we’re ‘getting it.’ And she makes it all fun – such a wonderful personality and lots of laughter helps everyone relax yet get the point. Wish I would have found her when I started out. This workshop was well worth the money and I can’t wait for the next workshop opportunity with her!!!”
Denver Audubon Raptor Photo Workshop Participant
About the Instructor
Cheryl Opperman is a nationally acclaimed nature photographer with a Bachelor of Arts degree from Brooks Institute of Photography and over 25 years of professional experience photographing nature, wildlife, and indigenous cultures worldwide. She was featured as a leading female nature photographer by Outdoor Photographer Magazine and has received numerous prestigious awards from organizations including The Earth Day Network, Nature’s Best Photography, the International Photography Awards, and the National Wildlife Federation. Her work has also appeared in publications or exhibits for The American Humane Association, the National Geographic Society, the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History, and many others. Employing the power of photography to inspire interest in the environment, she has appeared in on-camera interviews for 9News Denver, The Luminous Landscape, and Smithsonian Earth and regularly presents slide shows or classes on various topics to schools, camera clubs, and organizations.
$2,750.00 – Without Lodging (for local residents)
$2,995.00 – With Lodging, double occupancy
$3,245.00 – With Lodging, single supplement